Monday 5 April 2010

Cameron's Big Idea/Big Society

Now, cut me some slack, and don't jump on me in a shouty ranty way. I'm opening up and telling my thoughts, which I imagine many people will label as naive.

I've read many blog posts which are scathing and dismissive about what has been reported concerning David Cameron's "Big Idea". The things he's said, and some of the language he's used have been caricatured and sneered at.

Now, I know that in many ways it's become the role of the blogosphere to keep our politicians in check by being critical and challenging what we are expected to do by many of those politicians, which is to believe whatever we're told, even when it's blatently untrue.

But.

I've written, albeit sparsely, about the despair I feel for the state of our country, and especially the fact that after 13 years of this evil Labour government so many of our children, youth, and young adults don't remember and haven't experienced a different way. In many senses, they have been effectively indoctrinated, brainwashed.

Let's get real. The only outcomes for the coming election are a Labour win (in which case show me the door out of the UK), a Conservative win, or a hung parliament. In the case of a hung parliament, it won't deliver a more consultative, consensual and sensible government, it will just create a period of stasis for a few months until a new election, in which case return to go, do not pass go, do not collect £200. Does anybody really believe otherwise?

So it's Labour or the Tories. And back to the "Big Idea"

I read all about it, and I felt encouraged, even a little excited. I can see what bloggers are suggesting when they lampoon the "Big Bank" (or was it "Peoples' Bank"?) and the suggestion for voluntary "National Service" and many of the other ideas that have been given unfortunate names, making them sound a bit like loony sandal-footed hippy schemes.

But cut him some slack, please, and open your mind and look at the intention behind the ideas. He's said he wants a small state, which I believe, so it's not really fair to accuse him of simply creating more Quangos. Sure, there may be some new structures set up to implement the new ideas, but if that's in the context of massive reductions in government elsewhere, I'm happy with that.

And the rest of it - surely it's about trying to make the country (and dare I say, society) better again - encouraging individual responsibility, respect, freedom and independance? Isn't that what everybody has ben banging on about in blogs all these months and years?

I want him to make this happen, and I want the country made a better place. He's got my support - not unquestioningly or uncritically, but I want him to win, and I want him to be the person I hope he is, and to do the things I hope he'll do. Personally, I want to encourage him in the right direction, and not spray my despair and anger indiscriminately at all politicians and parties, especially if that aids Labour even marginally in their desperate attempts to get back in.

Go ahead - flame me, call me stupid and naive. But I've said it and I meant it.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I took so long in commenting buddy; life is full of distractions.

    I've never been one for flame wars, as I take things too personally and just want an easy life free from drama.
    So, assume that I'm wearing my 'open mind' face when I respond.

    I share with you your dismay at the state of the country and the decline in "community spirit" -for want of a better term. My problem here is that I believe that much of the problem is caused by the interference of the state, and so have a great deal of difficulty in accepting more as a solution. Especially where we are talking about essentially synthesising that which normally occurs naturally among ourselves if left alone save for the security provided by a decent justice system.

    However, if I am to be afflicted by this flavour of Tory government, and this is the way he plays things: I hope to be proved wrong and that it all works toward something better.

    So there you go. Incidentally, I rather like your writing and we should really get more people through here.
    *adopts Field of Dreams voice*
    If you write it they will come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Methinks we may well have become addicted to ranting, wailing and complaining mate.

    I for one was quite impressed with the Tories Manifesto..

    ReplyDelete